Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Pokédex, Part 4

I have to admit to being a Pokéholic, and yes, I might have a problem. Not in an ironic sense either. The collecting aspect of the game appeals to my inner hoarding freak. I just love seeing them all in the pokédex and having a bunch of killer cool monsters at my disposal. Nintendo, you are doing something right.

However, for years I have wanted the game company to do something new with the formula. My feeling is that although Nintendo games can be amazing as they are, the game designers should be forced to innovate every three games. And not in little ways either, completely overturn the established rules of the franchise and try something new. If it isn't a success, they can always go back to the old mechanics. Nintendo is best when it is innovating. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, all have had revolutionary updates that have really moved the games forward, but often they end up getting stuck in a rut of the same old thing. I have heard rumors that Game Freak is getting ready to do this with the established Pokemon concept. My hope is that Pokémon Conquest is a test run on how interested people are with an updated battle component. Perhaps Nintendo is even looking to incorporate some of the aspects of that game into a future main series entry.

That being said, I am quite excited for Pokémon Black 2 and White 2. There will be old fighters (Brock, Giovanni, maybe even Misty), actual Pokemon champions from around the real world, strange new ways to collect Pokémon, an updated map two years later, and maybe best of all, no new Pokémon! Hopefully, this will focus the game play aspects, freeing the designers from coming up with a whole new batch of creatures. What is Game Freak capable when all their attention is on honing the user's battle experiences? I am excited to find out.

To celebrate my enthusiasm, I am going to post a whole new series of images. These are great for my blog and catch a lot of search engine hits. My fear, though, is that I cannot credit the original creators of the content simply because I have no idea who originally created them. I find this stuff all over the web: 4chan's /vp/, /r/pokemon, r/altpokeart, r/pokemonarts, deviantart, and other random places. For this I am hesitant. Anyway, if the original creators happen on my site, please contact me. I will remove the image or properly cite the source. Anyway, here we go:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
by Ruth-Tay

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I love the pictures showing humans and Pokémon interacting. It's fascinating imagining a world where the two coexist and how it would function. The image of the family on a picnic strike me, as well as the kids hearding the Mareep. Of course professions would arrise dealing with certain Pokémon. Black smiths. Hearders. Ranchers. Masons. Who knows? I would love for a game to explore that relationship. Create a world that feels lived in with old timers in the fields, sailors relying on their water types for their livelihood, and even the myths which would spring up around that constant interaction. Anyway, here's links to parts 1 and 3 (both contain more pictures).

1 comment:

  1. Understanding the cause of Granuloma Annulare as auto-immune, suggesting internal, immunological factors responsible for the disease. The aims of using Herbal Treatment for Granuloma Annulare internal factors by addressing the immune system using the herbal supplement. Herbal Treatment for Granuloma Annulare aims at treating the internal factors by addressing the immune system. Herbal Remedies for Granuloma Annulare can assist to decrease itching and the occurrence of the skin lesions. A person can use different Herbal Remedies for Granuloma Annulare to obtain relief from this problem. Herbal Treatment for Granuloma Annulare can help me manages this condition.

    ReplyDelete