Friday, May 4, 2012

The Pokédex, Part 3

Seeing as this will probably be my final entry and the first after finals week, I am exhausted, but I feel like I never wrote a satisfactory farewell. It kind of hurts to let this blog go. I invested a lot of time into it, a lot of blood, sweat, and tears... To be honest, when I started writing entries I was just trying to live up to the guidelines: write one for every class. Then as I was assigned weekly updates for the English capstone, I thought posting them here would give me a high incentive to do a good job on them. It did.

In last semesters, I felt like I didn't do everything I could to make my blog for Sexson's class all I wanted it to be. I got lazy, others things were going on, etc. But I realized that this was such a great opportunity! Seriously, you get to read your classmates' thoughts, their style of writing, and it's a great forum for it. I have learned more about writing in previous semesters in Sexson's class than any other, except for maybe grammar. I was always fascinated by Tai's writing style in the Biblical lit class. It was hilarious and informative. This semester, I was inspired by Ashely, the kicker of puppies, not so much for her writing (which is also awesome) but the passion she has for these old authors. I mean, being into writing is cool! Jennifer of the Falling Waters was amazing and I hope she finishes her book--I really enjoy the way she is constructing her story. I also think it's fair to say that Shelby sweet & spicy's presentation broke all of our hearts. This summer is going to be an interesting one for me. I will be living in Guam, a little island in the South Pacific owned by the US government. It will hopefully be a revelatory experience. Exotic climate, scenery, cuisine, peoples. But, yeah, it is still the United States. At any rate, I am hoping to continue blogging into the summer in some way, at least dealing with my trip--If I have the energy, that is.

You may notice the title as being "The Pokedex, Part 3." I chose this for several reasons. I love Pokemon, and the blogs with a lot of pocket monsters have been popular via Google. So why not? This is like the 'Mew' of blog posts anyway. The last and kind of sucky. It is also alliterative with 'poptart,' a name I regretted choosing almost immediately. But hey! We live with our mistakes every day, but even random choices and occurrences have profound meaning. Par example, watching "Cabin in the Woods" last weekend, I noticed the stoner in the movie, Marty, had an Apocalytic moment when he linked 'poptarts' with 'puppeteers.' I had my own revelation--that's what poptart means! Not to imply I am a puppeteer... but it's just so cool, right? (Won't grandstand, won't grandstand...) Why did I choose poptart anyway? I have to admit to being a fan of Alex Jones, and sometimes he makes a joke about people being from planet 'poptart.' For some reason, this always bowled me over in hysterical bursts of laughter. It was 'Nick of Poptart' without the 'the', by the way. But I like 'Nick of the Poptarts' better anyway. So that's it. Again, like always, blogging was a great experience. I enjoyed everyone's. Remember, never stop learning from what other people are doing. It's fun to get swept up in a new intellectual endeavor you are passionate about--to your left brain, never stop growing, and to your right brain, never stop changing. Namaste? Oh why not...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Nick,
    I, too, wondered why 'Nick of the Poptarts' but at some point in the semester I had a revelation that the way you come up with surprising ideas in your blogs, is kind of like how a poptart pops out of the toaster. There's anticipation waiting for it to cook, kind of like waiting to see where one of your ideas will go...sometimes in surprising directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the writing of your book is going well. Don't forget to send me the chapters in email. :)

      Delete